I’ve recently started a teardown of a 5 Disc CD player from Symphonics (See video above) and I came across a VFD in the front panel.
With hindsight I should have measured the signals and voltages on the pins while the unit was still working but it’s too late for that now.
After trying to find a datasheet with no luck, I decided to try and reverse engineer the connections and figure out how to get this thing to work. It’s selection of segments are not the most useful but it will provide me with some knowledge of how to use these displays when I find something more useful.
As a first look from visual inspection, here is what I have mapped out. The faint lines/writing are connections I’m not sure of, the connections on the first 2 pins are not correct though.
The 2 images above were highlighted based on the connections observed on the rear of the display (I lined up the images using GIMP to confirm which segment goes where)
Next stage is to give them some voltage 🙂
Just tried adding voltages to it but no observable changes 😛