Open Workbench Logic Sniffer case – Part 2

Ok, it’s been about 24 hours of the resin setting and it seems to be quite firm, though some parts are still tacky. That doesn’t matter as I’m going to be letting it set again after I do these next bits.

My mock up picture in the last post is slightly wrong, I depicted the expansion being on the right of the board (when looking at the headers) this would suggest the expansion becomes channel 17-32, where in fact the expansion is actually channels 1-16 and the OWLS board becomes channels 17-32.

 2015-10-20 22.51.07

Here you can see the DIP switches and the pins under them, that is where I will be plugging in my cable sets.

I will eventually fill gap in at the top of the dip switched, I may just fill it with hot-glue and colour it in black with a sharpie. I will most likely be putting a label over it with channel numbers.

The next thing to do is to make a way of having it easily disconnected from the OWLS in case we need to do any modifications to the board, especially as I know that I will need to modify the board because the expansion hasn’t arrived yet and I will need to fit a header for it.

I mounted some female headers onto some veroboard and attached the wires from the front panel (trimmed to appropriate lengths too)

2015-10-20 22.50.56

You can see here that the ground connection on each side is connected using a green wire, I only connect one ground from each set on the ribbon cables and have it all similarly connected on the front panel.

The blue plate was metal from the PS3 teardown, it was the bluray drive casing cut to shape with a part folded over on itself so I can make the connector stand off a little. I then put a little more resin on it to hold it in place, I’ve used a strip of pin headers to keep it all straight and aligned.

2015-10-20 22.57.32

This is the current state it is in, time for more waiting for glue to dry 😛

I realized that I didn’t show the case I was going to put it into in the previous post so I thought I would show it here.

This is the case that I took from the 33.6Kbps modem that I tore down in this video :

 

2015-10-20 22.57.41

I will check on this in the morning, hopefully it will be set enough so I can be put in the case before I go to college.

 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *