Open Workbench Logic Sniffer case – Part 1

I have had my Open Workbench Logic Sniffer for quite a while and I have found it to be a very useful piece of kit. I have recently ordered an expansion to upgrade it to a 32 channel logic analyzer (up from 16), the little case which I put it in is going to be too small, so I have decided to put it into a bigger case.

I also have decided that I should create a front panel for this case because one issue that has always bugged me with the OWLS is that when you have unused channels, they seem to pick up “ghost” signals from the other lines. To remedy this I have put DIP switches on the panel which allow you to ground individual channels.

OWLS in case

Here is a mock up of how it will look in the case, the green boards will be fixed in place and the OWLS and it’s expansion will be able to unplug to allow me to do updates etc..

Below is a schematic of how the wiring is going to look. I only have 9 way DIP switches so each set has a non-functioning switch.

 

OWLS panel

 

I started by putting the DIP switched on some protoboard and the pin headers under it

2015-10-19 22.56.33

The wires were then soldered in place.

2015-10-19 22.56.25

I then made sure the front panel of the case had a good opening and put it in and used epoxy resin.

 

2015-10-19 23.13.27

This is how it currently sits at the time of this posting. I will check it in the morning and continue the build tomorrow.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *